Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
Thank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart
Lifetime comedian, comedy writer and coach
IS THERE SUCH A THING AS A SAFE ARTIST?
|Posted on June 30, 2018 at 8:57 AM||comments (181)|
-Nothing worse than an artist playing it safe.
The talents I have chosen to deal with I expected to be outspoken and maybe a little dangerous. I would never want them to 'shell up' or stick their heads in the sand for the sake of POSSIBLY pissing off 'professional contacts' for any reason.
When I see an artist that is playing it this way I'm already betting their art is as namby pamby as their image.
Black or white. Gray is boring and is usually hiding something other than a lack passion and every artist should know true art IS passion. Bridled passion is the death of art.
|Posted on April 5, 2018 at 9:01 AM||comments (133)|
Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.
Those that can't do or teach, become critics.
COMEDY BREAKTHROUGH 3/16/18
|Posted on March 16, 2018 at 9:59 AM||comments (58)|
Everything I learned about comedy I instinctively knew as a child. Only took me decades to get back in touch with that. Ain't that some laughable shit?
COMEDY DOJO SECRETS FOR FREE
|Posted on December 9, 2017 at 11:29 AM||comments (13703)|
Never allow inconvenience, pain or fear hinder your creative products. Be in a constant state of self examination so that your growth, vision and courage are real. Fight the right fights. Do.
-Chili's Comedy Dojo secrets
There, now you don't even have to come to my comedy sessions, unless of course you need assistance in any one of the above elements. I can assist a little there. Be honest you thought it was all about jokes right?
2 SENTENCE TIP ABOUT WRITING JOKES OR OTHERWISE
|Posted on November 26, 2017 at 10:00 AM||comments (231)|
You must write about things that stir your emotions.
Feel first then write.
Reader's Digest Version of My Comedy Backstory
|Posted on November 22, 2017 at 8:09 AM||comments (167)|
I never decided to become a stand up coach or comedy class teacher. I was basically drafted.
Cut to the 80's....
Due to some successes early on and the explosive nature of the big comedy bang I got pounced upon by comics, radio personalities, and booking agents offering to pay me to write for them, coach, and even begin a ground breaking comedy educational world of running writer's camps. When you're basically new to the comedy business who says no to that??
After all I had an inclination for helping and what seemed to be a soulful knack for getting across my points to new talents and experienced ones. I had at that time already gained a very positive rep for giving away a ton of free advice to comedians before that and since of course.
Anyway, the 'writer's camps' thrived and THAT turned into workshops, next came comedy classes. And as I say, all of it began as early as the 80's, that's historical fact. In the same decade factor in the mega opportunities the 80's brought me to write for 'Bob and Tom' national radio show, 'Mother Goose and Grimm' nationally syndicated newspaper cartoon strip, a Pulitzer prize winning humorist and later a TV show. You can see I was being paid to write, direct, visualize comedy bits for comics on stage acts, newspapers, radio and TV all at once. Not to mention my own act, when I could get around to it.
Cut to early 90's... Jay Leno dropped the life changing event on me with the opportunity to write for NBC's 'Tonight Show'. The rest is even more history.
Now to 2000's...I find myself in the twilight of my career returning to a city where it all began to continue this amazing journey of writing, performing, coaching as well as developing the Comedy Arts Center and a TV show. Here we go again.
A 2 SENTENCE STAND UP COMEDY TIP.
|Posted on November 12, 2017 at 9:36 AM||comments (49)|
.Putting YOU into your act is as important as the right material. Without YOU in your jokes the material may never feel correct.
COMEDY, YOU GOTTA LOVE IT. 2017
|Posted on August 13, 2017 at 10:05 AM||comments (442)|
I grew up loving comedy. I don't mean just MY comedy, I mean all comedy, comedy in general. I love it in movies, and in stage plays, on large screens and small. I love comedy.
I love the attempt at comedy, those that choose to try it and have something to say immediately gain my admiration.
As far as stand up comedy, I love political humor, observational, slap stick, silly, zany and all the keeping it real stuff. Blue comedy, clean comedy and in-between comedy. I've had magicians and mimes make me laugh.
Maybe it's about the surprise comedy usually brings? I know I love that moment of relief and release, the suspension in time: simple pure joy.
That's probably rooted in the lack of a mother's love, but now we're into therapy. Comedy is just that sometimes, a big dose of therapy.
I even love that.
DEALING WITH DISAPPOINTMENT IN COMEDY
|Posted on August 8, 2017 at 9:07 AM||comments (578)|
No matter who you are or what art form you're in you're going to deal with disappointment. Somebody is not going to like you or what you do. Somebody is going to turn a cold shoulder to you or ignore you or worse perhaps,...well there is no worse than being pushed aside for any reason. If you haven't run into that yet you may be doing it wrong. ;) So relax.
Disasters are education, failures are all part of honest training. Unfairness happens. It's a numbers game.
OK enough with the clichés but you get the point don't you? It's never the calamity anyway, it's your reaction to it.
Bottom line, here is a couple things that has helped me deal with setbacks.
Stay positive by staying active, always have projects you're looking forward to, training that is making you better, surround yourself with a circle of friends in the same art form. Believe me, they'll have stories of personal fizzles that will make you feel much better. Shared misery lessens the sting.
There's no such thing as being bulletproof, if you don't hurt at least a little once in awhile maybe you should check your passion for what you're doing.
LET GO AND GROW
|Posted on August 1, 2017 at 10:12 AM||comments (64)|
Summon your inner artist by letting go. Stop being so selfish with who you are. You have the courage to show the world you're twisted, so go all the way and show them just how twisted you are, there's always more. Slay the editor.
Begin the dark notes. Release your forbidden thoughts and personality. Don't force it and be honest. Fearlessness infused with sincerity. Honesty helps you feel something other than fear while you're performing. Less fear, less anxiety, more clarity of thought, more confidence. Truth stokes the fire of courage.
Throw in some heartfelt laughs along the way.
That's how you move away from just being entertaining to developing true fans.
- writing comedy, how to's, standup comedy, jokes, Tonight Show, (6)
- funny info, writer, chili, (5)
- teaching comedy, comedy school, standupschool, (2)
- visual art, communication, (1)
- getting started in comedy writing, (2)
- MCing (1)
- resolve, what does it take, (2)
- benefits of comedy (1)
- POV (1)
- creative comedy (8)
- creative ideas (6)
- writer's block (1)
- getting past doubt (1)
- Premise vs Idea (1)
- Comedy cliques. (1)
- Standup comedy (3)
- Writing, Re-writing (1)
- COMEDY NITE STAFF (1)
- Good news! Bad news! Writing! (1)
- Right to Funny Speech July 4th. (1)
- joke writing (4)
- What's funny to me. Writing (1)
- Memory helpers keywords (1)
- COMICS RIGHTS! (1)
- 'Standup Comedy with a side of Chili' (2)
- San Francisco and Seattle Comedy Competion info (1)
- Writing and comedy (3)
- Political humor (1)
- Rant (1)
- SETUP-PUNCHLINE JOKE FORMULA (1)
- dealing with heckler (1)
- bombing in stand up comedy (1)
- Jerry Seinfeld (1)
- funny words (1)
- Colin Quinn (1)
- Joke Writing exercise, connection (2)
- WRITING & COMEDY (2)
- Funny (2)
- Creativity (1)
- STAND UP, ATTITUDE, (2)
- SET-UP, (1)
- ROAD (1)
- Letterman's Top 10. Writing exercise. (1)
- REAL COMEDY (1)
- KEYS TO STANDUP COMEDY (1)
- SUPERMAN, VULNERABILITY CREATES FUNNY (1)
- BUSINESS OF COMEDY (2)
- WHAT'S FUNNY - RESPECT (1)
- COMEDY TIMING (1)
- WHY comedy (1)
- Coaching stand-ups. (1)
- CREATE, CAPTURE, CAPTIVATE STANDUP COMEDY (1)
- COMEDY WORLDS standup comedy (1)
- WONDER, WORRY, WRITE (1)
- Heart! Comedy character. Stage persona (1)
- FREE COMEDY CLASS! (1)
- COMEDY TIMING, WHAT IS COMEDIC TIMING? (1)
- love standup comedy. (1)
- COMEDY CLASS VS COMEDY DOJO (1)
- STUPID STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- COMEDY BREAKTHROUGH (1)
- SECRET TO COMEDY TIMING (1)
- SECRET TO BUSTIN' THRU WRITER'S BLOCK (1)
- comedy = pain (1)
- BACK TO CHILDHOOD FUN (1)
- 10 Points about writing. Comedy writing. (1)
- 10 QUOTES (1)
- comedy gains (1)
- FUNNY STANDUP (1)
- FAILING AT COMEDY GOOD? (1)
- HOW TO MOVE UP IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- Tone critical to stand up comedy and your act. (1)
- SPREADING INFO (1)
- DON'T BE A BORE (1)
- ABOUT MY WEBSITE (1)
- The Comedy Set (1)
- REAL STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- RARE OPPORTUNITY IN COMEDY (1)
- FEEL AND THE WRITE. FEELINGS = FUNNY (1)
- A FEW WORDS ABOUT WRITING JOKES FOR YOUR STANDUP (1)
- PUNCHLINES (1)
- MY MY MY COMEDY (1)
- NEEDY = COMEDY ARTS? (1)
- STANDOUT STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- WHAT STAND UP IS NOT. (1)
- STAND UP COMEDY BASICS (1)
- SETUP PUNCH LINE, STAND UP JOKE FORMULA (1)
- WHAT IF YOU WROTE SOME COMEDY? (1)
- JOKE WRITING SESSION (1)
- FINDING YOUR VOICE (1)
- Comedy Dojo (1)
- WRITING JOKES FOR STANDUP (1)
- Comedy~Dojo Online Soon! (1)
- STANDUP COMEDY DOJO (1)
- THE OLD COMEDY SPIRAL NOTEBOOK (1)
- FEELING FUNNY. WRITE! CREATE~ (1)
- WORK ON UR CRAFT (1)
- GETTING ALL EMOTIONAL ABOUT STAND UP AGAIN (1)
- THINGS WE DISCUSS IN THE STAND UP COMEDY DOJO. (1)
- TOM PAPA STUDY (1)
- LAUGHTER IS A FUNNY THING (1)
- FAV QUOTES ABOUT LAUGHTER (1)
- FALLING FOR COMEDY (1)
- HOLIDAY LAUGHS (1)
- Meh HAPPENS (1)
- LIKE BILL COSBY SAID, 'FAR FROM BEING FINISHED' (1)
- BASIC COMEDY KIT (1)
- 100 PERCENT (1)
- NEW YEAR NEW TIP! (1)
- VISIONS (1)
- PAIN AND HUMOR (1)
- 10 THINGS TO AVOID IN COMEDY (1)
- WHERE IS THE FUNNY? (1)
- FLASH BACKS FROM MY TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO (1)
- COMEDY WRITING QUESTIONS AND WRITING TIP. (1)
- WELL HAVE YOU? (1)
- WEB INFO ABOUT STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- COMEDY DOJO PEP TALK (1)
- MORE OF STAND UP COMEDY IS NOT (1)
- GREAT COMEDY ONLY TAKES MOMENTS (1)
- 11 MORE THINGS STAND UP IS AND IS NOT (1)
- TYPES OF HUMOR AND JOKES (1)
- FEW WORDS ABOUT WRITING COMEDY (1)
- HELP IN RUNNING A COMEDY SHOW (1)
- WRITING IS REVISITING (1)
- THINGS I HOPE I CONVEY IN THE COMEDY DOJO (1)
- I ASK WHAT IS THE POINT? (1)
- BEING AROUND LONG ENOUGH IN COMEDY (1)
- HOW TO WRITE FUNNY JOKES! (1)
- COMEDY RAH RAH W/ WRITING TIPS (1)
- 3 WHATS OF WRITING COMEDY (1)
- STAND UP COMEDY-OWN IT OR LET IT GO (1)
- STUPID IS FUNNY AND TIMELESS (1)
- $20 INFO COMEDY DOJO WORKSHOP. (1)
- WORKING WITH NEW COMEDIANS (1)
- ROBIN WILLIAMS (1)
- IN THE MOMENT STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- MY STAND UP COMEDY CAREER ALA READER'S DIGEST (1)
- ISSUES AND STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- GET INTO YOUR STAND UP COMEDY JOURNEY. (1)
- QUIET RANT = NEW BIT (1)
- WAIT! READ THIS -STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- A NECESSARY CREATIVE ATMOSPHERE (1)
- RAMBLINS ABOUT STAND UP COMEDY & CREATIVITY. (1)
- HELP WITH MEMORY (1)
- IN STAND UP COMEDY LESS IS MORE. (1)
- WHAT'S NEXT AFTER YOU HAVE A STAND UP ACT? (1)
- THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW TO DO STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- SOME THINGS I THINK WHEN IT COMES TO COMEDY WRITING (1)
- WORKING CLUBS IS FINE BUT LOOK OUTSIDE THE CLUB TOO. (1)
- KNOW THIS ABOUT COMEDY AND BUSINESS. (1)
- 6 THINGS I'M NOT WHEN IT COMES TO COMEDY (1)
- STAND UP COMEDY EMOTIONAL BREAKDOWN (1)
- 2015 COMEDY DOJO COACHING SCHEDULE (1)
- 10 MORE THINGS I'VE LEARNED DOING STANDUP COMEDY (1)
- HAVE FUN WITH WRITER'S BLOCK (1)
- YOU CAN'T TEACH COMEDY! (1)
- STAND UP COMEDY WANTS YOU! (1)
- QUICK IDEAS ABOUT WRITING. (1)
- GOOD STAND UP COMEDY IS NOT ONLY WORDS (1)
- REASONABLE STAND UP GETS LAUGHS (1)
- QUALITY IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- POINTS FROM THE STAND UP COMEDY DOJO (1)
- COMEDY THRU THE DECADES AND HONESTY (1)
- JUST SAYIN' THANKS TO MICHIGAN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- WHERE IS THE ART IN STAND UP COMEDY? (1)
- HOW DO YOU STAND OUT IN STAND UP COMEDY? (1)
- FINDING YOUR COMEDY VOICE AND WHY. (1)
- QUOTES ON COURAGE APPLIED TO COMEDY (1)
- MORE ON DISCOVERING COMEDY VOICE (1)
- HANDLING HECKLERS IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- WRITING STAND UP COMEDY JOKES (1)
- BECOME RESISTANCE TO CREATIVE RESISTANCE (1)
- HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR STAND UP COMEDY. (1)
- 7 REASONS AND A SECRET (1)
- COMICS! GET WITH IT ONLINE!! WRITE! PROMOTE! (1)
- A RANT ABOUT STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- WHAT IS FUNNY? (1)
- IS STAND UP COMEDY ART? (1)
- YOU'RE WORTH LOOKING INTO. (1)
- NO JOKING AROUND STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- STEALING JOKES IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- NO FAVS IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- GETTING PAST FEAR IN STAND UP (1)
- DEVELOPING IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- DO YOU THINK ABOUT THESE THINGS IN STAND UP COMEDY?? (1)
- WHEN ASKED WHY I GOT INTO STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- RISK AND REAP IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- NO TO JOKE WRITING FORMULAS? (1)
- CREATIVE OR CRAZY? (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING, FREE!! (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING (MISTAKES( (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING - WRITER'S BLOCK (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING - WHAT IS LPM? (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING - RISKY MATERIAL? (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING - WHEN TO WRITE? (1)
- 1 MINUTE COMEDY COACHING - IT'S NOT ALL JOKING AROUND (1)
- AGEISM IN COMEDY? WELL YEAH, THERE IS. (1)
- COMEDY BURST TRAINING - START WRITING (1)
- 10 THINGS THAT SABOTAGE A STAND UP SET (1)
- THE BEST FORMULA FOR STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- stand up comedy, know thyself, mental health, stage performance (1)
- Stand up comedy, Survival of a bad comedy set, comedy (1)
- stand up comedy, performing, jokes, laughter, thank you (1)
- 1 MINUTE BURST TRAINING IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- Writing stand up comedy jokes made simple. (1)
- Comedy Dojo - Not a Gym Exactly but Sorta. (1)
- THE WAY (TWEENERS) (1)
- A FIX FOR WRITER'S BLOCK FOR STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- BEFORE WRITING STAND UP CONSIDER THIS (1)
- DON'T FEAR CHANGE IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- STAND UP COMEDY GOALS (1)
- SPONSORS NEEDED FOR COMEDY PROJECT (1)
- growing (1)
- DISAPPOINTMENTS IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- COMEDY, GOTTA LOVE IT. 2017 (1)
- 1 FACT YOU NEED TO KNOW TO SUCCEED IN STAND UP COMEDY (1)
- Very Quick Background of My Comedy Career (1)
- WORLD'S SHORTEST WRITING TIPS (1)
- Stand up comedy secrets, joke writing secrets, comedy secrets, writing tips, (1)
- Comedy Breakthrough 3/16/18 (1)
- comedy, critics, do, teach, (1)
- art, comedy, writing comedy, passion, how to's of stand up comedy (1)